Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Marscon Wrap Up

I've been wrenched away from my blogger duties due to the launching of my new child Calamities Press. If you need more info about it, check it out at www.calamitiespress.com or the blog entry below this one. I wanted to dedicate this entire entry to my experience at the local scifi con here in Minneapolis called Marscon.

First off, I had an amazing experience at Marscon: 2014. I was fortunate enough to be part of some really entertaining panels where I was able to speak my mind and sometimes (though rarely) sound intelligent. Those panels included; How to Market Your Ebook, The Hobbit, Poetry, and Dull and Realistic Characters. All of these conversations were excellent (though in the The Hobbit discussion I was branded the villian since I'm not a huge fan of the movies). Also, the panel seemed relatively certain Azog was never mentioned in The Hobbit, but he was by Gandalf at one point or another. I wanted to mention it, but I was already under fire.  

I was also fortunate enough to be part of the author's book signing in the swanky Krushenko's room upstairs. At this event I met a man named Dave, who was the regional Dalek expert (I had no prior knowledge of Dalek's or Doctor Who, may the heavens crash down upon me in streams of fire). He had the most energy of any one person I have ever met. I was trying to figure out if working on Dalek's required ridiculously large amounts of caffeine.

Besides the book signing, and all the panels, I was also able to do a reading at Marscon of my novel Beware the Ills, which was really fun and I'm super thankful for. My reading format is a little bit different from other authors (I do attend a fair amount of these events through courtesy and pleasure). Instead of reading giant strings of narrative for twenty to thirty minutes, I tend to read five to seven small sections from my book. Each section gets broken down to about five minutes each, at the very most. I avoid spoilers, and I pick sections of the book that can give the listener an overall snapshot of my tropes and plots. Also, I tend to read a piece of nonfiction with my novel, in the effort to explain how I got this way and why.  

Marscon was an amazing experience, and thank you everyone on the convention commitee for allowing me to be a part of it. I'll be updating this site once a week with what I'm up to, and how I'll be doing everything. Thank you everyone for your support. Please check out The Greenland Diaries, A Phantom Forest, and Chains. Thank you again everyone :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment