Monday, April 14, 2014

Chains

A recent project I've started on my literary magazine called Calamities Press has been a small narrative called Chains. This has been one of the most challenging projects for me to date, since I'm writing a constant third-person story in the blog/serial format, which is the opposite of The Greenland Diaries. Chains works on some different levels than the The Greenland Diaries, due to the third-person format, and the plot.

Chains follows two bounty hunters Bow and Vrendel as they investigate the disappearance of an entire city called Frigga. This city falls on the border between Midgard and Jotunheim. Chains takes place in a vacuum of Norse mythology. I steal everything I can to build my universe, since I'm not the biggest fan of world creation. Most have been exposed to Norse Mythology before, so they can sort of fill in the gaps. This is a tactic I've sort of explored because it allows me to focus more on the plot than the exposition.

Continuing the story, both characters are sent to investigate the mass vanishing of the town. On their way to the city, the Fimbul Winter begins, which signals the beginning of Ragnarok. A variety of things start to happen on their journey, and they eventually reach the city of Frigga, which is lacking any human beings. The hunters do find inside the Iron Citadel a system of chains that was attached to some sort of creature. The creature has escaped and the shadows of have changed. The hunters aren't the only ones investigating the city. An assassin from the giants arrives along with a variety of other villainous characters.

The story is very fast-paced, and relies on discovery as a plot device. I'm playing with Bow's character right now. She is very strong, rigid, and powerful, but she's also very religious and gets swept up by the current mythological environment. For how sterile and sharp her personality is, she puts a fair amount of faith in the gods. Vrendel is less believing in the supernatural forces, and focuses solely on the idea of producing children, which Bow isn't fond of. These characters are the backbone of the story, and I'm passionate about their personalities and dynamics. 

Chains has a plethora of plot devices and action sequences, which I like to read; therefore, I like to write.

Chains will start being published every Monday afternoon on a weekly basis on Calamities Press. It'd previously been published on Fridays, but a contributor dropped out, so I'm moving it to the front of the week. Please check it out, and let me know what you think. I really enjoy writing this story, even though it challenges me to all out.

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO CHAINS ON CALAMITIES PRESS 

No comments:

Post a Comment